Whilst PCS should not become uncritical or unconditional supporters for Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell we recognise that the battle for the Labour Party is not one in which PCS should remain on the sidelines as neutral observers (a union version of Switzerland). Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell are fighting for a positive alternative to austerity politics and that touches on the future of our members.
Therefore In relation to the crisis in the Labour Party we would action the following:
- PCS to begin immediate talks with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell as to the best ways in which our union can help them stave off the PLP’s attempted coup and to respond to the daily barrage of media and parliamentary abuse and misrepresentation that they are subject to.
- Help PCS representatives and union members who are supporters and members of the Labour Party to actively defend Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell inside and outside the Labour Party and to advocate PCS policies. This would mean, amongst other things helping PCS momentum.
- Use union resources to explain to members why it is in their interest that Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell remain in the leadership of the Labour Party and to explain patiently and carefully how PCS’ own positive alternative to austerity politics is similar to the policies outlined by Jeremy and John.
- Mobilise PCS members in lobbies of Labour MPs in support of Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell.
- Involve PCS representatives in developing ideas that should be fed into the development of the Shadow Opposition’s policies.
- Organise regular meetings between representatives of each Group and the relevant Shadow Secretaries of State.
- Meet regularly with other interested Trade Unions to discuss how we might all work together to oppose austerity politics and develop labour movement alternatives.
- Draw up plans to maximise membership understanding, and wider society understanding, of the gross inequality in Britain, the high level of tax avoidance and tax evasion, and the sheer damage that has been and will be done to society, to working class people, by the Conservative’s slashing of public services.
- Work with campaigning bodies in support of Jeremy Corbyn and in defence of the public sector.